Bible Study: The 10 Commandments

Forum rules
Please respect other users, we are here to find out what the WORD is saying.
No bad language allowed.

Re: Bible Study: The 10 Commandments

Postby giepie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 am

Hi Sandy

What you said is so very true. It ties in with the third commandment, but also with the fifth, as God is our Father. Like you said, society thinks nothing of using God's name in vane. Not only that, society today accepts anything as normal without measuring it against their beliefs as Christians. There are lots of other examples, like:

:!: Lying - Nothing wrong with a white lie right? The Bible says:
Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Does this mean a white lie is OK? Certainly NOT! A lie is a lie.

:!: Idolatary - Is it OK to have statues of Jesus in church? I don't think there's specifically something wrong with having a statue of someone in your church, but the problem comes in when people turn to that image (which for argument's sake represent Jesus), and eventually you pray to the statue instead of to Jesus who is in Heaven. The second commandment says:
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.

(For interest sake, the Catholic church removed the Christian second commandment from their ten commandments.)

:!: Keeping the Sabbath holy - It is OK to go to the pharmacy to buy those emergency meds, right? It is then also OK to go to Pick'n'Pay to do your month's grocery shopping on the Sabbath, right? This is what the Bible says about the Sabbath:
Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

The Bible clearly says you should not do ANY work on the Sabbath (nor cause someone else to work like your servent). Which day is the Sabbath? There are lots of contraversy regarding the exact day. Some say it is (1) Sunday, some say it is (2)Saturday, some say (3)you can choose your own day, some say (4)you should keep the Sabbath every day. Who is right? Well, if you keep the Sabbath every day (like statement 4), it simply means you are lazy, as you are to refreign from any and all work EVERY day, so it can't be that option. (3) Can you choose a day as the Sabbath? I don't think so. Let's say your spouse is returning from a business trip and asks you to pick her up Thursday at 10:00, but you decide to pick her up Friday 10:00, do you think she would be happy? Off course not! You have to pick her up the day she will be there! We need to find out which day the Sabbath really is, as God chose the Sabbath at (possibly even before) creation. The forth commandment clearly proves this fact:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

:!: Honoring your parents - Does kids today still honor their parents? Certainly not the way the Bible teaches! Yes, times have changed and there are laws in place which makes it very hard to decipline your children according to the Bible, and all the violance on TV and the media just make these things worse. Yet people don't think of it as "Those children are not honoring their parents", rather say think of it as "Those poor kids have lots of issues", and the fact that they're not honoring their parents comes almost as an after thought where it should be the first thing to consider.

:!: Murder - Have you seen the news lately? How many times have one heard that a murderer gets out of jail after a few years, but you could get more jail time from speeding or not paying your taxes? Deu 11:18 says:
Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes.

There are lots of controversy over this verse, but I believe it means that you should have God's will in your thoughts ("heart and soul" and "between your eyes" some translations or verses say "foreheards") and act ("hand") accordingly. Kids these days watch so much TV and witness people shooting each other. Don't you think that when your mind is filled with all this violance, these thoughts just might come up when that "stupid" car turns in front of you? Do you see how hard it is these days even for adults to keep their minds clear of sin?

:!: Adultry - Nothing wrong with watching that love scene on TV, right? The Bible says:
Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Like I explained in the previous point, a thought is as good as a deed. So does this mean when watching that love scene you are actually commiting adultry?

:!: You go to your colleage to ask for a paper clip, he/she is not there so you take one anyway. Nothing wrong with it right? It's after all only a paper clip! WRONG! The Bible says:
Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.

Does that apply only to stealing "big" things, or is theft, well, THEFT?

:!: Have you guys seen the new Merc SL55? What a marvelous car, "I would sell my kidneys for one".... How often do you hear similar statements? What does the Bible say about coveting:
Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

In case you didn't realise, I just went through all ten commandments. I tried using every day examples.

Some may at this point say how much of a burdon it is to keep the Commandments, but is it really a burdon or more of a blessing? Did you know that if everyone would start keeping the Commandments, there will be no murder, adultry, divorces, theft (basically just go through my list again and all of those problems will dissappear).

Don't you guys agree we are living in frightening times? Look at these interesting verses (all to do with Jesus' second return):

1. There will be great blasphemies spoken against God. (Revelation 13:60)
2. Christians will come under attack and be persecuted. (Revelation 13:7)
3. Knowledge will increase and abound. (Daniel 12:4)
4. Travel will increase. (Daniel 12:4)
5. There will be an increase in occurrences of and interest in supernatural happenings. (II Thessalonians 2:8-12; Matthew 24:24)
6. Wars, threats of wars and conflict between nations will increase. (Matthew 24:6-7; Mark 13:7)
7. Strife and discord within the family will increase. (Matthew 10:36)
8. There will be inflation and no financial security. (Ezekiel 7:19; James 5:1-3)
9. There will be a famine with starving humans and animals killing people for food. (Matthew 24:7; Ezekiel 5:16-17)
10. Pestilence and epidemics will spread. (Ezekiel 7:14-15; Matthew 24:7)
11. There will be false Messiahs. (Matthew 24:4-5; 24:24)
12. Sin will increase. (II Timothy 3:1-5)
13. Earthquakes will increase worldwide. (Matthew 24:7; Mark 13:8)
14. There will be talk of world peace. (I Thessalonians 5:1-2)
15. There will be a false One World Church. (Revelation 17)

The above verses is someone else's work, but I think he did a good job of summarising end time events we are to expect. The Bible says these things will happen just before the second coming of Christ. Do you see how near the end really is?

I therefore believe we have to find the following things out:

1) Who is my Creator? Am I the result of something that evolved over millions/billions of years, or am I the product of a created being?
2) What happens when I die?
3) If I could end up in a bad place due to the decisions I make in my life, I need to find out what the Creator wants from me and do those things so I don't end up in the "bad place". Don't count on getting a second change, its not worth the risk!

The modern world is trying to make us believe the commandments were "nailed to the cross" when Jesus died. There are plenty of proof that the commandments are still valid, but without going to deeply into it, just look at the commandments. If Jesus really came to "nail it to the cross", why did He Himself keep ALL the commandments rather than spending His time telling us not to worry anymore? If the Commandments are no longer valid, doesn't it make it OK to kill, sleep around, lie etc? The Ten Commandments are still valid and if you don't do your best to keep them, you are playing with fire! Others say only some of the Commandments are still valid, but nowhere does the Bible show a seperation of the Commandments, therefore you have two choices: either accept them all, or reject them all.....

G
--- Giepie Delport
giepie
Site Admin

Re: Bible Study: The 10 Commandments

Postby SassySandy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:36 pm

Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy...

Which day is the Sabbath day?
SassySandy

Previous

Return to Truth Forum