Bible Study: The 10 Commandments

Forum rules
Please respect other users, we are here to find out what the WORD is saying.
No bad language allowed.

Bible Study: The 10 Commandments

Postby giepie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:00 pm

Lets do some Bible study on the 10 Commandments and find out the truth

The TEN Commandments:

First Commandment:
I am the Lord thy God, Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Second Commandment:
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.

Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Third Commandment:
Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Fourth Commandment:
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Fifth Commandment:
Honour thy father and thy mother

Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Sixth Commandment:
Thou shalt not kill

Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

Seventh Commandment:
Thou shalt not commit adultery

Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Eighth Commandment:
Thou shalt not steal.

Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.

Nineth Commandment:
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Tenth Commandment:
Thou shalt not covet

Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
--- Giepie Delport
giepie
Site Admin

Re: Bible Study: The 10 Commandments

Postby SassySandy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:58 pm

I am so excited about this Bible Study. Are we going to do it Daily or Once a week?
SassySandy

Postby Popcorn » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Why were the commandments given? If the commandments is based on love, and love cannot be commanded. Why did God command us to do these things?
Popcorn

Postby giepie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:40 pm

SassySandy wrote:I am so excited about this Bible Study. Are we going to do it Daily or Once a week?

Hi Sandy!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for being the first to reply :)

What I like about forums is the fact that you can reply whenever you have time. It also works great when talking to people all over the world, as everyone doesn't have to be available at the exact same time for the conversation to work.

I suggest we add something as we have time. To be honest I'm not sure how a forum would work for Bible study, but let's see how it goes, I believe it will work just fine :)
--- Giepie Delport
giepie
Site Admin

Postby giepie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Popcorn wrote:Why were the commandments given? If the commandments is based on love, and love cannot be commanded. Why did God command us to do these things?

Hi Popcorn!

Welcome to the forum :)

I think this might answer your question:

"He that keepeth the law, happy is he." Proverbs 29:18. "Keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee." Proverbs 3:1, 2.

Point 1: As a guide for happy, abundant living.
God created us to enjoy happiness, peace, long life, contentment, accomplishment, and all the other great blessings for which our hearts long. God's law is the road map that points out the right paths to follow in order to find this true, supreme happiness.

"By the law is the knowledge of sin." Romans 3:20. "I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet." Romans 7:7.

Man brought death into the world by sin. We were created to live for ever, just as we will one day receive eternal life again when Jesus returns.

Point 2: To show me the difference between right and wrong.
God's law is like a mirror (James 1:23-25). It points out wrongdoing in my life as a mirror points out dirt on my face. The only possible way for a person to know if he is sinning is for him to carefully check his life by the mirror of God's law. Hope for this mixed-up, sinking generation is found in God's Ten Commandment law. It tells us where to draw the line!

"And the Lord commanded us to do all these statutes [commandments] ... for our good always." Deuteronomy 6:24. "Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually. Thou hast trodden down all them that err from thy statutes." Psalms 119:117, 118.

Point 3: To protect me from danger and tragedy.
God's law is like a strong cage at the zoo, which protects us from fierce, destructive animals. It protects us from impurity, falsehood, murder, idolatry, theft, and many other evils that destroy life, peace, and happiness. All good laws protect, and God's law is no exception.

I believe the eternal principles of God's law are written deep in every person's nature by the God who created us. The writing may be dim and smudged, but it is still there. This means, of course, that you cannot find true peace unless you are willing to live in harmony with your inner nature, upon which God has written these principles. We were created to live in harmony with them. When we choose to ignore them, the result is always tension, unrest, and tragedy--just as ignoring the rules for safe driving leads to serious trouble.
--- Giepie Delport
giepie
Site Admin

Postby SassySandy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Exodus 20:3 says , Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
What can be classified as other gods?
SassySandy

Postby giepie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:03 pm

This is a tough question, but I think anything you trust to give you something in return could potentially become a god. If you for instance play the lotto (which I believe is against God's will) and you pray to win the lotto, you certainly aren't praying to the Lord of the Bible. I'm replying from my phone, will reply later from my PC, but I think this is something to think about so long.
--- Giepie Delport
giepie
Site Admin

Postby Popcorn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:11 pm

Anything that you worship is a god.
Popcorn

Postby SassySandy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Even our spouses or children can become a god. Anything we put before God is a god
SassySandy

Postby SassySandy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:08 pm

"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain". In society today it is so common to hear the name of God being taken in vain.

Leviticus 19:12 "
And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the Lord.

This verse clearly states that we profane the name of the Lord. We disrespect Him if we take His name in vain.

Many of us have become so desensitized that we don't even feel strange when we around people that do it as a habit. In my prayers I ask God that He make me feel uneasy when I fall in that regard or when I'm around people that take His name in vain that I stand up for Him.
SassySandy

Next

Return to Truth Forum